Wednesday, October 7, 2026

French Press - 'O' Group AAR

Last weekend Rocky was kind enough to host a game of 'O' Group, which allowed me to finally break out the French and German battalions that I had spent so much time painting. 


The scenario was a modified version of the Cristot scenario from the main rulebook. The Germans were the attackers, with three infantry companies, a machine gun section (though I realize I accidentally gave myself a second section in the game), a Panzer II platoon, and a Panzer III platoon (each of two sections). 

The defending French had three infantry companies (with one having only two platoons), two machine gun sections, two 25mm anti-tank guns, and Renault R35 platoon with two sections.

Like the book scenario, the Germans would need to capture two of the four BUAs of Cristot by the end of sixteen turns to win, or either side would need to inflict 3 FUBARs on the other side.


The German assault on the town was blunted early when a machine-gun reinforced infantry platoon was chased from an orchard by combined French infantry and tank fire.


On the other side of the road that split the table, the French enacted a refused flank, pulling back while opposing two German companies. The French FO used his placement on the hill to call in battalion mortars and the single French artillery mission that was available. 


The French fell back to the town, with four infantry platoons occupying a BUA each. 


The R35s' fire continued to hold off the attacking Germans. They had to be careful, however, as the Germans had integral AT rifles and could potentially damage the French tanks (the French infantry lack integral AT fire, thanks to their sending their AT rifles abroad).


I decided to bring the Panzer IIs on to support the German right flank. 


And the Panzer IIIs rumbled onto the table to engage the R35s. 


As the Panzer IIs rolled forward, German infantry followed behind.


The Panzer IIIs managed to knock out one of the R35 sections. Rocky revealed his two AT guns which had deployed in ambush: one aiming at the Panzer IIIs, and on aiming at the Panzer IIs.


The Panzer IIIs eventually managed to knock out the second R35 section.


A Panzer II section was lost to French AT gun fire. 


The German infantry rushed to the hedgerows lining the road, hoping to launch an assault into the town.


However, French fire was heavy enough to continually shock the German infantry. And one platoon was routed from the table, giving the Germans a FUBAR.

We decided to call the game at the end of Turn 14, as there wasn't a chance for the Germans to press into the town in two turns or cause enough casualties for three FUBARs.

I definitely could have made some better tactical decisions. The major mistake I made was mid-deploying the third German company. I had hoped to catch the French on the right side of the table in a pincer attack but they fell back too quickly. This left a third of my force out of the fight, which then meant that the French actually had more infantry in the main attacking area.

The Consolidation action is one of the more complicated aspects of 'O' Group, and I definitely need to work harder to understand it. Storm of Steel has a YouTube video that's worth watching.

I probably should have brought the tanks on earlier as well, as they could have put more pressure on the French compared to the slower moving infantry.

Rocky also suggested that the scenario itself needed tweaking. Going forward, I will remove the third French company and add a light howitzer to the Germans. We'll have to try the scenario again and see how it shakes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment