Monday, March 18, 2019

Cold Wars 2019 - The Loot

This past weekend I attended Cold Wars 2019, and I had a blast! I went on Friday and Saturday, and played in a three game tournament and two particpation games. I also met up with Kevyn on Sunday to catch up and finally bring Carnevale to the table. 

While the AARs for those games will be coming out in the following weeks, I thought I would share what I ended up buying at the convention, and how it'll affect certain pledges made earlier this year...


I ended up with a good mix from the exhibitors hall and Wally's Basement (the flea market).

One seller had a number of old Games Workshop Orcs for Warhammer Fantasy. I've been meaning to jump onto the Old/Middlehammer bandwagon at some point, and the prices were too good to pass up. It's enough to start a 1000 point army and build up from there. I've got some leads on used miniatures, so the plan is to build little by little over time.

One of the participation games I played in was For King and Parliament, put on by a member of the SJGA. I had so much fun with the rules that I decided to grab enough miniatures for a small brigade. Again, I found a couple deals in the flea market, and got the rest at the exhibitors hall.

I also took the opportunity to purchase the two paper armies and the rules for Longstreet for my Longstreet campaign. I'll see how long it takes to cut, glue, and paint two starter brigades, and then go from there.

I also picked up a cope of Armies & Legions & Hordes, by Dave Taylor. It's a fantastic coffee table book for hobby enthusiasts, filled to bursting with lavish images of Dave's collection. It also has guest articles on how painting and project management. I missed the kickstarter campaign for the book, so I couldn't pass it up.

The cartons are filled with laser cut bases from Gale Force 9. You can never have too many!

Finally, two of the items weren't bought, but were instead gifts from Kevyn! One was a dice tray, and the other was a copy of Rangers of Shadow Deep, one of the newer sets of rules from Joe McCullough, the author of Frostgrave. I've been hearing a lot of good things about the rules. At least I can use my 28mm fantasy miniatures I already own to play it! Thanks a bunch, Kevyn. It's very much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment