Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Cold Wars 2019, Dogs of War vs. Tomb Kings - Warmaster Revolution AAR

As I mentioned in the post earlier this week, I attended Cold Wars 2019. Friday was spent at a Warmaster Revolution tournament run by Dave, who also ran last year's tournament at Fall In. 

This time I was bringing a recently finished Dogs of War army. It's a fun collection of pike- and crossbow-wielding humans, dwarfs, and ogres (I didn't have the points to bring a giant, unfortunately). 

The tournament format was pretty simple - three rounds with three different scenarios for players to score points in. 


My first opponent was Matt, who had brought Tomb Kings. We played on an appropriately themed table.

The mission was Take and Hold. Each player had an objective in their deployment zone, and another objective near the middle of the table. At the end of the game, a player scored points from the objective if they were in control of it. The further away the objective was from the deployment zone, the more points it was worth. Players could also score additional points by breaking the opposing army.


Both sides spent the first turn moving up the table. Unfortunately, both my artillery and knight brigades refused to move, leaving my pike brigade stuck.


On the right, my crossbowmen and their supporting marauders and ogres moved up, looking to claim the distant objective in Matt's deployment zone.


My knights refused to budge, leaving a fifth of my army useless on the backfield.


My artillery brigade wasn't looking good, with a single unit of skeletons blocking my galloper guns and Matt's bone-throwers and skull chukkas confusing and damaging the accompanying dwarfs.


Finally, my knights got the hint and charged in, with the pikes coming in behind to hopefully provide backup. My cavalry managed to hit and rout one of Matt's two artillery brigades, but couldn't charge through to the next. And this was after I ended up losing a unit and a base to their artillery's fire previously.


Things weren't going great on the other flank, with my brigades being bogged down and having more skeletons summoned in behind them.


The same was happening to my knights - while they were able to trample the skeletal defenders, more units kept popping up and kept them in place.


Worse yet, Matt finally brought his chariots into the flank of my artillery brigade. Even the stout dwarfs weren't going to last long!


My ogres apparently decided to sit on their thumbs and watch as their compatriots were cut down between the two oases.


Even with my hero on a griffin "helping" (turns out skeletons don't care how scary your monstrous mount is), the last of the knights were slowly being surrounded and ground down.


Finally, however, my ogres charged in and wiped out the tomb king forces in the area, saving the last two stands in what had been a four unit brigade!


However, before I could send the ogres towards the far objective, the last unit of knights were routed and my army broke. I didn't manage to claim any objective before the game ended, so Matt claimed a complete victory.

2 comments:

  1. Always liked the Dog of War idea, so it is fun to see it in Warmaster scale. Not familiar with this scale, but how are Regiments of Renown worked out.... if at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There isn't. If I remember the way the "scale" in Warmaster work, two brigades fighting is equivalent to a 2000 point WHFB game. So there's not a lot of detail for individual units at this level.

      What some players do is have units with special miniatures and give them magic weapons like the Banner of Battle or Sword of Might to give them some unique qualities.

      Delete