Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Painting Update - Warhammer Fantasy

I've been in a gaming drought recently, so I've spent my hobby time chipping away at one of my biggest projects - a 6th Edition Warhammer Fantasy Battle Orcs & Goblins army.

It's something I've always wanted to do, but I didn't enter the hobby until around 8th Edition came out, and I wasn't a fan of the massive units required to play or the insane magic spells.

Earlier in the year I stumbled across an old O&G battalion set and some units in the flea market at Cold Wars, and bought them on a whim. I've since grown that force into something that could comfortably play 2000+ point games in 6th Edition, while immersing myself in the Classichammer/Oldhammer community - groups playing in older editions of Warhammer Fantasy without the looming threat of codex creep or the hot new thing.


I actually completed the first unit last month as a test, and I think they turned out well. It's a pretty simple paint scheme that has a lot of black and green but it works well together. This was also a test for the 3d-printed movement trays Kevyn made for me, which I glued magnetic sheets to the bottom. The rare earth magnets under the miniatures' bases keep them in placed for the most part, while still allowing for them to be removed.


I decided to tackle some artillery next. A pair of spear chukkas makes for some decent ranged support in an army that's pretty focused on close combat.


I then went back to the infantry. Two blocks (or a single mob) of Night Goblins from the Battle for Skull Pass set came together pretty nicely. I decided to use the troll from the set as a unit filler, and its blue skin contrasts well against the black and greens of the goblins. I'm still kicking myself for passing up the Dwarf half of that set, however!


Of course, what's a Night Goblin force without a couple of characters and randomness? They need a Big Boss, a Shaman, and a trio of Fanatics.


And to finish up the Night Goblins, I painted up a couple units of archers. Since I wasn't using the unit commands, I had to use a couple totems and a squashed goblin, but I think they add a little flavor to the units.

While I'm working on some vehicles for Gaslands now, I'm going to get back into the Greenskins to finish of

2 comments:

  1. They look excellent! They would be perfect for 'Kings of War' . cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would! Also for Warlords of Erehwon or Saga: Age of Magic.

      Delete