Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Barrage 2018, Tamil Indians vs. Medieval Hungarians - ADLG AAR

My final game at Barrage was against Walt and his Medieval Hungarians. 


Like Bill, Walt decided to dismount his knights as the game started. He also decided to deploy heavily to his left, which would effectively leave one of my commands out of the fight.


The fighting started on the right in the forest, where Walts line of light infantry decided to charge into my command. For some reason, I decided to fight in the forest, knowing that my medium infantry and elephants would be at a disadvantage, while Walt's light infantry wouldn't. This resulted in a quagmire that bogged that command down in the difficult ground for the rest of the game.


The rest of the game didn't go well either - with Walt's commands interpenetrating and nudging each other all over the place, it was difficult to keep track of who was in command of what.


Ultimately, Walt managed to forced my army to break, although his own army was just a couple of lost cohesion points away from breaking as well.

Overall, I placed 5th out of ten players. The Tamil force was interesting, if a little boring - there's no real tactical depth to the force. I missed the speed and maneuverability of light horse and real cavalry, and I may build a force with them for the next tournament I go to. Maybe I should expand my Avar?

2 comments: