Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Kayfabe and Throwing Shade - Warhammer Underworlds and Rumbleslam AARs

While Sam couldn't make it this past weekend, John and I decided to put a couple games on the table that John had finished painting the miniatures for, but hasn't had the opportunity to play yet. 


The first game was Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire. I had actually bought the starter earlier this year, but ended up selling it since no one else seemed to be interested. It's really a shame, since while I'm cold on Age of Sigmar, Underworlds turned out to be a fun, fast-paced, and tactically complex game.


John and I ended up playing three games. I lost the first, as I sent my warband in piecemeal. While Steelheart's Champions are stronger than the members of Garrek's Reavers in one-on-one combats, John was able to gang up on my fighters and tear them apart.

Realizing my error, I spent the next two games keeping the Champions closer together, playing a defensive game. With this strategy, I managed to win both games.

Warhammer Underworlds has actually piqued my interest, and I may purchase the new starter.


The second game we tried out was Rumbleslam, which John essentially owns everything for thanks to his participation in the kickstarter.

I chose to play as the Cryptborn Nightmares, while John used the Heavy Pounders.


Since I couldn't find a PDF of the rules online (c'mon, TTCombat - it's 2018, get with the times!), John and I had to take our time trying to learn the game as we played.


The first turn mostly saw both teams moving across the ring, positioning themselves for the next turn. My werewolf, however, managed to successfully activate his Crowd Pleaser ability, and leapt to the nearest empty turnbuckle.


The second turn saw most of the action. My werewolf leapt down from the turnbuckle onto the ogre, who in turn went off the ropes to slam into the werewolf. While the big guys fought it out, the smaller members of the team skirmished in the corner, with one of John's halflings and my zombie knocked out for the count.

Unfortunately, we ran out of time, but the two rounds was enough to get a taste of Rumbleslam's rules, and it left me wanting more. We used grappling, off-the-rope, and turnbuckle attacks, but neither of us managed to use any lifting or throwing rules. Maybe next time.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to read a bit more about Rumbleslam. It is a game I have thought about, but am unsure about its replay ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it probably has around the same replayability as games like Guild Ball, which also uses fixed teams with a few options available. There's enough team variety, and each models has plenty of attacks/actions they can take.

      Plus there are mercenary characters that can be added in for additional variety.

      Delete