Wednesday, August 12, 2015

We'll Begin Again - Empire of the Dead AAR

Since the gangs we had started the Empire of the Dead campaign were becoming a little bloated - either because surviving characters were amassing skills or new models were being added faster than older ones were leaving - the group decided to make new gangs, different from the ones we had already played with:

Me - Criminal (Tong)
Gary - Gentlemen's Club (Darkfire)
Bob - Nosferatu
Carl - Gentleman's Club

My new gang's first game was against Carl's club, who were sporting an array of shotguns and rifles. In a Fracas scenario, I was certainly outgunned. Luckily, I managed to get the roll for day/night, and elected to play in the cover of darkness, making it harder for Carl's gang to shoot me.  

We deployed in opposite corners, and my Gentleman of the Road (who adds a +1 to initiative rolls as long as he's on the table) made sure I had the initiative for most of the game. 


My new gang's first game was against Carl's club, who were sporting an array of shotguns and rifles. In a Fracas scenario, I was certainly outgunned. Luckily, I managed to get the roll for day/night, and elected to play in the cover of darkness, making it harder for Carl's gang to shoot me.  

We deployed in opposite corners, and my Gentleman of the Road (who adds a +1 to initiative rolls as long as he's on the table) made sure I had the initiative for most of the game. 


My gang advanced together, with the Bludger rushing ahead, hoping for a chance to use his sawn-off shotgun. 


Carls' Gent's split off into two group - four continued to the far corner of the table, while two headed for the center. 


I sent my Guv'nor and Dipper into the middle of the square as well, hoping to use my Dipper to steal something off Carl's models. Managing to survive Carl's shots, my Tong members - not known for their extraordinary shooting skills - managed to not only hit the Gents when firing back, but removed both models from the table! 


At the other table edge, my Bludger was boosted up onto the wall, where he saw Carl's Gents taking cover behind a low wall. Since template weapons automatically hit, ignoring cover, the gangster leveled his sawn-off and gave the Gents both barrels. This took out another of Carl's models. 


The Gents weren't going down without a fight, however, and the Bludger paid for his eagerness by becoming holier than the pope, then being removed from play.

Having lost 50% of his gang, Carl managed to succeed on his Break Tests, but elected to retreat, not wanting to subject his gang to more punishment now that the Tong, a close combat faction, were ready to charge.

So the Tong won their first game!


As Gary and Bob had played against each other, we decided to try out a four player Artefact Hunt, with Carl and I teaming up against Bob and Gary. We changed the scenario a bit, with for Artefact tokens placed in the middle of the table around a clock, representing that there was potentially an artifact hidden at its base.

Once again, the Tong deployed in a corner by the docks.


Bob deployed to my left, with his vampire Graf, Guardian, and a trio of Bat Swarms. 


Carl's Gents deployed opposite of me. 


And Gary's Darkfire Club deployed to my right. I was especially afraid of Gary's Gatling gun!


The actual game, however, shook down into two separate fights - between Gary and Carl, and Bob and I. The Bat Swarms harried my gang, managing to take out both the Bludger and the Dipper, but the rest of the Tong managed to give the bloodsuckers enough of a drubbing that they broke and ran. 

Gary, seeing that he was now outmatched against the combined Tong and Gents, elected to retreat. This ended the game in a draw, and neither side managed to find an artifact. This game was definite proof to Gary's claim that Empire of the Dead, while certainly a fun campaign game, isn't suited to multi-player games. 

I am, however, eager to receive the Tong box set that I ordered, and to see how this gang turns out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment